Monday, April 30, 2012

Aubrey's Birth Day, A Time Line

As today marks one week since Aubrey came into the world, it seems like a good time reflect back on the day we became a family of four...Aubrey's Birth Day (and few other reminders leading up to it).

34 weeks: Started feeling mild, irregular contractions

36 weeks: 3cm dilated

37 weeks: 4cm dilated, 70% effaced

38 weeks: 5cm dilated, 80% effaced; Because my body was so far along, my doctor and I made a plan that if by Thursday, I had not had the baby, I would come in Thursday (April 26) to have my membranes stripped. If that didn't do it, then, I would come in Friday morning for a full induction. I think both of us knew those plans were not going to happen and I really wanted to go naturally, but it gave me something to think about.

Sunday, April 22: I decided to call it quits at work...contacted my sub at 5:27pm to let her know. I had been debating all week what my plan was going to be. After my appointment on Friday, I decided that I would be done Wednesday no matter what and it would probably be a better transition for all if my sub just started the week fresh.

Monday, April 23:
6:45am - Getting Isabel ready for the day and notice a small raised bump on her tummy and some around her mouth...don't think much of it other than noting it was there. 

7:30am - Dropped Isabel off at daycare...let Barb know if spots get worse to let me know and I will come get her.

8:30am - At my mom's suggestion, I went for a 30 minute Reflexology Foot Massage where the masseuse worked the pressure points in my feet that connect with the uterus. I figured even if it didn't work, I was going to get an awesome foot massage!

9:15am - Went over to my mom and dad's to help Kortney with some application stuff. I was having typical mild, irregular contractions, but they did seem a little stronger than the ones I had been having in general.

11:00am - Ran to Target to pick up a "Big Sister" gift for Isabel. Contractions I had been feeling tapered off and now nothing.

12:00pm - Went to lunch with Kortney at Turtles...decided (as I had been trying to do since the previous Thursday) to spice things up with some buffalo sauce on my chicken ranch wrap.

1:30pm - 2:30pm - Went home and took a very refreshing nap (yes, I actually fell asleep).

3:30pm - Picked Isabel up from daycare and spots from the morning had gotten a little worse and spread.

4:00pm - 6:30pm - Went to mom and dad's for Monday night dinner; contractions started up again, but still seeming very mild; played in the backyard with Isabel, Caleb, and Ethan.

6:30pm - Trying to decide what to do with Isabel and her spots: looked almost like chicken pox or maybe just hives or impetigo...decide to take her over to Mary's to see what she has to say. Before we left, though, I told Butter we might need to start paying attention to the timing of my contractions...still very mild, but they seemed to be getting closer together.

6:45pm - Mary said same thing as mom...could be a couple different things, but just to watch them and if they get worse to bring her in to the doctor tomorrow.

7:00pm - Got home and gave Isabel a bath and got her ready for bed. While bathing, noticed many spots between her "cheeks."

7:39pm - Called Mom to tell her about the new found spots and to let her know that I think we needed to start timing contractions...again, some of the contractions were hardly noticeable, but they seemed fairly close together.

7:45pm - 8:15pm - Contractions are 4 1/2 minutes apart, but not until the 5th timed contraction was it strong enough for me to say, "Okay, we need to head to the hospital."

8:18pm - Called Mom again to tell her we were getting things together and would be dropping Isabel off.

8:55pm - Dropped Isabel off at mom and dad's and headed to hospital...contractions are now 2-3 minutes apart and painful. Mom said to give her a call when we got settled. As with Isabel's drive to the hospital, I needed to remind Butter that we were fine and he could slow down!

9:00pm (actually a little after) - Walked into emergency doors of hospital as main doors are closed, looked at the check-in Security Guard like, "If you think I am stopping to 'check-in' you better think again." Taking a hint, he asked if I needed a wheelchair and that he would call up and let the Family Birth Floor know I was coming. I did not take a wheelchair, by the way.

9:05pm - Reached Family Birth floor...I think St. Francis does an outstanding job, but the check-in lady was a piece of work, to say the least. We walked in with our bags and I was hunched over in obvious pain, and she asks, "Who are you here to see?" Are you kidding me?! When I reply with, "Uh, me." She then asks, "What are you here for?" Seriously, woman!!! I, politely as I could, reply, "I am in labor and my contractions are 2-3 minutes apart." Butter is literally growling in anger over my shoulder right now. After needing to sign some paperwork, she showed us to our room and that was it. She said this is your room, turned the lights on and walked out. Ummm, and we should be doing what at this point?!

(This is definitely when time gets fuzzy, but here is some memorable parts of Aubrey's entrance)

As soon as the nurse comes in, everything feels under control and Butter and I are put at ease. Krissy, the lead nurse on duty, says she needs to check me. I change into a hospital gown and lay down on the bed to find out that I am 10cm dilated and I have the slightest "ridge" that my water is bulging through. At that, she says, "I pushed a button and shortly a lot of nurses will be coming in to get the room ready." And that is exactly what happened. Four to five nurses came in and immediately started pulling all the delivery and baby equipment out. Doctor Jenkins, my OB doctor, was paged...oh, did I not mention she was on call?! AWE-some!  No time for a phone call to mom...Butter just sent a text to Kortney to relay to Mom saying, "NOW!"

Once everything was ready, the room quieted down except from the grimacing groans coming from me. Krissy asked what my pain management plan was, and in slow unison, Butter and I say, "Epidural," knowing full well that there probably was not time. The nurse confirmed what we were thinking so I tried to mentally prepare myself for the most pain and discomfort I have ever had in my life...all the "mental preparing" did nothing, by the way. As the contractions continued, I did notice that it did feel like I was getting some relief between them, which was very different from Isabel's labor where it never felt like I had any relief.  

A short debate about a different pain management option ensued. At this point, I just needed someone to make a decision that knew better than I as to when this baby was going to come. Krissy had the IV bag and the needle up to my hand when someone asks again are you sure you want this or should we just call the doctor and have her break your water. From the get-go, Krissy was sure that as soon as my water broke, the baby would be coming right behind. Thank goodness for mothers because Mom (who showed up at some point as the room was being prepped) said, "Kate, I think you should just have the doctor come and break your water...this baby is ready to come." Sounds good to me...I just really wanted to know the fastest way out of pain and that was the route I needed to take.

Doctor Jenkins came back in and, again, double checked with me about my pain decision. I appreciate that everyone wanted me to know my options, but seriously let's have a baby already!  As Dr. Jenkins geared up and was checking equipment, my water broke. Now, forgive me here, but my water did not just break, it exploded! I honestly was not sure exactly what happened because it was so intense. Butter said the nurses were the epitome of professionalism. There was no shocked reaction to the "Old Faithful" style explosion and instead they acknowledged with encouragement that my water broke and then went on to clean it up.  Meanwhile, Butter was trying to pick his jaw up off the ground...  Dr. Jenkins had time to explain that there was meconium in the amniotic fluid so as soon as the baby is born, the cord needs to be cut quickly and the baby brought over to the warming table to make sure the lungs are clear. Shortly after that bit of information, I screamed out, "I need to push!" followed by some deep screams. I hear someone tell me that the head is out, and the shoulders, and the baby is here...so one good push and Aubrey Claire was here!

They immediately put her up to my chest, but nobody announced what we had. I kept trying to see, but the cord was in the way. Finally, someone asked if I knew what we had. Butter could not see either so they moved the cord and Butter could announce, "We have another girl!" Butter was able to cut the cord  and Aubrey checked out clean so she was brought back over to me while the doctor had some other "clean-up" to take care of.

We walked in the hospital doors at a little after 9:00pm, and Aubrey Claire graced us with her presence at 9:39pm. Surreal whirlwind, to say the least.  There was no magic juice, dance parties, or a waiting room full of family this time, but the result was the same.  We have a beautiful baby girl and we couldn't be happier.

  

3 comments:

  1. Wow - love the "play by play" action of that birthing story, Kati! I feel like I was there, experiencing it all with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and some day Aubrey Claire will love reading EXACTLY how she came into this world. Lovely story, lovely baby girl. Nana M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story!! I love reading how it all played out. Your mom is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete