Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Owen's "Birth" Day

Three children. Three pregnancies. Three labors. Three deliveries. All very different. Leading up to the day we met our newest addition, my body was readying itself as it had with the other two. At 36 weeks, I was dilated 3-4 cm, and at 37 weeks, I was dilated to 4-5 cm. At 38 weeks, 3 days, I had my appointment at 3:40pm and was dilated 5-6 cm and 80% effaced. Again, how far dilated can I be without having this baby!


I was not looking to be induced (and I couldn't be anyway until 39 weeks), but I was so ready to meet our new little one. One of my biggest fears as soon as we found out we were expecting again was that I would not make it to the hospital to deliver as we were very close not making it with Aubrey. With that in mind, Butter and I both had altered our work schedules: I was completely done the Friday before and Butter was mainly working from home. At the appointment, we decided to have my membranes stripped, which is a somewhat uncomfortable procedure (at least it is a quick process). And now we wait...

Luckily, we did not have to wait long. My contractions were a little more intense that day anyway (as I had been contracting since 28 weeks), but at about 5:30pm they were definitely intensifying so we started to time them. When we hit two that were 7 minutes apart, Butter decided we were going home (we had been at my parents) to get things packed up and the girls would stay with mom and dad. We continued to time contractions, but they were not getting any closer and/or longer...very sporadic yet. I continued to sway, sit low, and walk around the block. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Nope, I couldn't do it anymore. I told Butter that we are going in and if they send us home, they send us home, but I am not taking any chances. And really, how far dilated can a person be and still get sent home...I was already at a freaking 6!!

One last pregnancy picture right  before heading to the hospital!
At about 8:15pm, we arrived at the Family Birth Floor at the hospital. Check-in was much less stressful as the woman was very accommodating and prompt as I told her the events of the day. Once we were led to a delivery room, we heard a very painful scream coming from down the hall, which became somewhat of a running joke as that woman continued to scream like that for the next two and half hours. The lead nurse came in and chatted with us about what had been happening. She said that cramping is normal after having membranes stripped so she would check me and go from there...do I stay or do I get sent home? Dilated to 7 centimeters! I was a keeper!

As I was hooked up, we discussed the plan to get an epidural going and make sure I was comfortable. The doctor would come in and probably break my water and then we would have this baby. Pretty darn easy...and in all actuality, it was a very low-key and easy labor and delivery. Lots of laughing and easy conversation, mainly do to the screaming lady and the absolute silly admitting questions: how do you learn best? and have you experienced any recent weight changes? Seriously?! Yes, seriously.

After being there about half hour to 45 minutes, I started to get worried as I had only had two contractions. Shortly after having this thought, the nurse checked my monitor and had commented on how well I was doing and that contractions were 2-4 minutes apart. What?! Later, at my six week check-up, I asked my doctor about it and she said it is normal to not feel all contractions, but it is a little odd considering I was already so far along. I guess that explains why we almost didn't make it to the hospital with Aubrey.

The Family Birth Floor was a little hectic that night as they had to call the on-call nurse in for me then her car broke down on the way so I was going to have two different nurses. Then the on-call nurse was able to get it started and showed up. Shortly after she showed, the anesthesiologist came and got the epidural going which went smoothly. He joked that he was going to go knock on the screaming lady's door and ask if she needed anything...I am actually not sure if he was really joking. 

With the epidural going, we waited for it to set in. Once it is was good, I was checked again (8cm) and the night nurse came on. St. Francis has some really great nurses as I had three awesome nurses during this delivery (not to mention the ones from my previous two deliveries)! The lead nurse let the on-call doctor (Nelson) know I was at the hospital while I was being admitted. My doctor, Dr. Jenkins, gave Dr. Nelson a heads up that she would probably be seeing me that night. And if they called to let her know I was in, she should probably head in to the hospital as I would be a quick delivery. Dr. Nelson did not heed Dr. Jenkins' advice.

Once I told the night nurse, we were hoping to have our baby on the 18th, she cranked it up by immediately paging the doctor and offering to break my water. During this time, I started to experience terrible back pain so my mom helped roll me over onto my left side hoping to relieve some of it. Mom watched the monitor and every time I experienced the pain I was having a huge contraction. I have heard back labor is horrible so I am glad I had the epidural and it was short lived. The nurse came to adjust some of the bedding and when she lifted up the sheet she announced, "Oh, your water broke and there's the head!" Everyone was ready and it was 11:45pm, except one key person. No doctor. The nurse said that the screaming lady's mid-wife was here and she could deliver. I said, "Go for it." As the mid-wife was suiting up, Dr. Nelson showed up.

The stir-ups were put in place and I was in position as Dr. Nelson came in still suiting up. The nurse said that a contraction was coming and asked if I wanted to push. Hell yes!! So I pushed and they started yelling to stop as I would have pushed the baby out. Yes, this babe was ready to make an entrance. Once the doctor was in place. I pushed one more time and out came our son!! Butter stood "below" watching the whole birth this time (with the girls he was up by my side). As soon as the baby came out, though, the doctor flipped him to me taking away Butter's chance to announce the gender and I got to announce the gender. I believe I said, "Oh my goodness, we have a boy!" Butter was not thrilled that I took his job, but jumped right in to cut the cord. It was a beautiful, laid-back delivery just like our little man, Owen Maxa Mousel.

Born on September 18th, 2013 at 11:54pm, Owen Maxa entered this world on what would have been his Great-Grandpa's 90th birthday. His middle name was given to him to honor his Great-Papa Cy's last name. Owen shares a name and birthday with a very special angel.

At birth, Owen weighed 8 pounds, 3 ounces and was 23 inches long! He has white blonde hair (or fuzz) and blue eyes. The jury is still out on who he looks like, but we all agree he looks like an old man and getting younger every day! He is now almost 8 weeks and has been a very good little guy. He has slept consistently overnight 5 hours since he was born. He has nursed well from the beginning other than taking him awhile to eat well on the left side, but now he eats like a champ on both sides. From the get go he has eaten every three hours except overnight. His big sisters love him, shower him with kisses (most of the time) and enjoy holding him whenever the other one is. We are a proud family of five and loving every minute of it! Okay, there are moments when Butter and I have looked at each other wondering what have we done, but then laugh and tackle the challenge.

Here are some pictures from Owen's first few days:



2 comments:

  1. Awww, such a great birth story. What a sweet little family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back at the pictures now I see a lot of Aubrey in him.

    ReplyDelete