Monday, October 17, 2011

Fat Tire Adventures

Yesterday I took the Mukluk on its maiden voyage to the River Bottoms Trail.  It has been about 2 years since I had been to the River Bottoms, mostly because it has spent about that amount of time under water from all the flooding in the past year plus.  I figured it would be as good of a test as any to see what the fat bike could handle with all the sand and tree debris that was sure to have been deposited by the flood waters.


There were a couple adjustments I had to get used to right away as the Mukluk is unlike any other bike I have. 

1) I had to get used to riding a mountain bike without suspension again.  The fat tires damp a lot of the bumps out, but they also have a trampoline affect when popping over larger trees and/or logs.  I found that out the hard way as I was almost catapulted over the bars when I didn't pop the rear wheel over a log.

2) Working the bike through corners.  The Mukluk is not designed to be charged through corners.  To take any corner at any kind of speed requires a little "muscle" to keep the bike from continueing in a straight line as it would prefer to do.   

3) Sit back, spin and enjoy the ride.  Too often I find myself charging through rides and not sitting back and enjoying what I am actually riding through.  The Mukluk doesn't roll that way.  It is a slow and steady style of bike and it allowed me to take in what was around me.  That was a nice change of pace.  Don't get me wrong, this bike can get up to speed, but it takes a lot more effort to get it there.

Within the first half mile I knew I loved this bike.  From the constant "whir" coming off the fat tires to the plowing through sand, over trees and through brush that I would cringe at bringing my other bikes through.  Point the big tires at something and pedal and more than likely I came out clean on the other side with a smile on my face.



There used to be a floating raft at this crossing, but enough floods have come and gone that I think they have given up on it.  Now it is a bit of a dicey tree crossing and it is a little more hairy with a 30+ pound bike on your shoulder.


After the tree crossing the trail goes from singletrack to a nice gravel road along the river for a mile or two before joining up with another section of singletrack.



Before I knew it 16 miles and 2 hours had passed.  It was a great first ride!



No comments:

Post a Comment