Monday, October 5, 2009

Treasure Hunt

Earlier this summer we were at my grandparent's farm for a family reunion. While we were there I took a peak in a barn, that I have not been in for a long time, hoping to find some old relics hidden away in the corner. To my surprise I found exactly what I was looking for! Buried under an ungodly amount of barn dust, were 4 bikes that had been most likely long forgotten about years ago. This is what bikes look like after they have been sittting in a barn for 20+ years.




Barn dust is like normal dust on steroids. It has the consistency of talcum powder, but it sticks like mud.

Luckily, I got out of clean up duty. My mom and dad graciously powerwashed the bikes off prior to bringing them up last weekend. They cleaned up pretty well and are in suprisingly good shape.





I believe this bike was my Uncle Dale's that he used when he rode in RAGBRAI. Hopefully, I can get this bike restored to some of its old glory. I think I am going to convert it to a fixed gear bike, but we will see if I have the wrenching skills to pull it off.


Classic banana seat cruiser! What's not to like? The only think that would make it cooler is if it had a suicide shifter. This bike is in great shape and shouldn't need a lot of work. Too bad it is going to have to sit around for a few more years until Baby Mufasa can ride it. Not sure who this bike belonged to...

There is also a black road bike in the background that I will probably try and convert to a single speed. I think the derailleurs might be too far gone to salvage the gears.


The good old BMX bike. This bike is in great condition as well. I don't know who this bike belonged to either, but I can easily imagine Ryan wrecking himself on it trying to jump the lane.

These bikes will need some work, but I needed a winter project anyway (because I don't have enough preparation to keep me busy for a certain new member of the Mousel family). I will post pictures of the new and improved bikes sometime in 2010 (well, let's at least keep our fingers crossed).

1 comment:

  1. You know, it's really a good thing that you clarified the title of your blog. After a bit of catching up on your latest posts, I wasn't sure which "baby" was the central focus. ;)

    ReplyDelete