Sunday, March 11, 2012

32 Weeks, Baby 2

The journey between week 28 and week 32 has been an eventful one, which is not always good when it comes to pregnancy. In my case, though, I am hoping it is just another wonderful "side effect" of pregnancy rather than any long term condition.

So let's get to the heart of the matter: I had mentioned on my 28 week post that I was experiencing completely normal shortness of breath, but new to me for this pregnancy as I was having it when relaxed adn lounging around after work. Along with the shortness of breath, though, I was having heart palpitations. When I told my OB, she first suggested I go see a family practice doctor, but as I continued to describe it and that Butter was able to feel the difference in heartbeat, she referred me to the cardiologist. Since, you know, the heart is kind of a vital organ and it is a little stressed during labor and delivery. :)

The cardiologist didn't seem overly concerned, but heart conditions and pregnancy share many similar symptoms so it was hard for her to feel confident in a diagnosis without further tests. The heart palpitations were pretty isolated to the evening hours so she was not able to hear/feel those, but she did say I had a heart murmur, which I have never been told I had before. She said the murmur could be something brought on by pregnancy and correct itself similar to how a baby born with a murmur can correct itself. In the next few days, I had blood drawn for lab tests, an Echo cardiogram, and wore a heart monitor for 24-hours. All tests came back "normal."

Pregnancy can do some crazy things, but to say what I am experiencing is normal just doesn't seem right to me. However, I am not the doctor so I trust her expert opinion, and the symptoms and results are in my file so when the time comes to have this baby, the doctor and nurses will be aware of this lovely side effect.

There is comfort that this is happening to me and Baby Mousel is a growing, stretching, healthy little one, and all comfy-cozy in my tummy!


My 32 week appointment was an interesting one as I think my OB is still a little concerned with the heart symptoms along with the swelling that has started within the last week or so. She is not concerned with pre-eclempsia as my blood pressure was excellent, but she won't mind seeing this baby come at 37 or 38 weeks. There was no talk about induction or anything, but I think she just wanted to put out there that going early would not be a bad thing. She did say that we would re-evaluate my symptoms after Spring Break, and she might consider ordering a work hour reduction. I really do not want that happen so I need to start saying no to all the "extras" I seem to take on work.     

Like I said earlier, baby continues to grow and heart rate is staying consistent. Fundal measurement is at 34in and baby's heart rate was at 145bpm. I now go back every two weeks for my 34 week and 36 week appointments then we start weekly appointments for weeks 37-40. When you start looking at the rest of this pregnancy in doctor visits, I cannot believe Baby Mousel is almost here!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you'll feel better and continue to be safe and healthy! My doc. said I developed a pregnancy heart murmur as well and that it was just a side effect. Whenever I was on the phone for work I huffed and puffed at the "effort" to talk. May it just be temporary for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care and get lots of rest...I am sure Butter is taking great care of you! You look so great!

    ReplyDelete