Monday, December 5, 2011

Muking Around- First Tracks Addition

First tracks used to mean leaving the apartment at 5:00 am and praying that traffic wouldn't be too bad and the pass going up towards the Eisenhower tunnel or Loveland pass were drivable.  Even it those variables worked out in your favor there was still a slim chance to beat the locals to the lifts and get on one of the first chairs in hopes of getting first access to knee deep powder.  I can count on one hand how many "first chairs" I experienced and I could even sacrifice a finger or two and still be alright.

First tracks has taken on a whole new meaning.


 6:45 am last Sunday morning the trail from Shakopee to Chaska looked like that and I was nearly gitty with excitement!  Flash backs of CO raced through my head, but rather than a snowboard strapped to my feet, I was clipped into the Mukluk and I was about to lay down 4" of fresh tracks.  My first powder day on the fat bike.

I really had no idea what to expect.  I didn't know how the bike would handle, didn't know if I had the right pressure in the tires, didn't know if this could possibly be as fun as I have heard it is.


After 1/4 mile all doubts were gone.  This was awesome!  It was just me, my bike and fresh snow for as far as the eye could see.  The trail was mine.  Better get going before the snowmobilers get out of bed and my secluded trail turned into a highway.

Before I knew it, 5 miles had passed and the trail spit me out in Chaska.



I checked in with Kati to let her know a Yeti hadn't eaten me, enjoyed a Honey Stinger Waffle and headed back towards Shakopeee.



I am still very new to this bike and have just begun exploring what it can all do.  I can't wait to take this thing out more.  There really is no place this thing can't go: snowmobile trails, singletrack, lakes, commuter trails, etc, etc, etc.  The only limitation is the engine and I am working on that as we speak.



No comments:

Post a Comment