Friday, January 8, 2010

Where Men Win Glory

Jon Krakauer is without question my favorite author.  I have read Into the Wild and Into Thin Air no less than five times each, along with thoroughly enjoying Under the Banner of Heaven and Eiger Dreams

Krakauer's first three books were about climbing and outdoor adventure, not suprisingly this genre dominates my library.  However, Under the Banner of Heaven was a drastic change in subject matter as it addressed a brutal murder and fundamentalist Mormonism.  I was a little apprehensive before reading this book because to me Krakauer was a climber that wrote on the side and I wasn't quite sure his storytelling would work outside of that.  However, this was the book that cemented Krakauer as my favorite author as he ventured outside his comfort zone and wrote a powerful book that was very difficult to stomach or put down.  I have been not so patiently awaiting Krakauer's next release for the last few years.

During my drive home from work a month or so ago I was listening to NPR and Krakauer was on All Things Considered discussing his new book that was about to be released, Where Men Win Glory "The Odyssey of Pat Tillman."  I was thrilled not only that Krakauer had a new book out but that he tackled a story that truly had to be told.

I am sure most people know, but Pat Tillman was an NFL football player for the Arizona Cardinals.  He gave up millions after the 9/11 attacks to join the Army Rangers with his brother Kevin.  While deployed in Afghanistan he was killed by friendly fire but the full story of what happened was covered up by all levels of the Army and US Government for not only months but years.

True to form, Krakauer goes into painstaking detail in his account of Pat Tillman's life and the events that lead to his death.  The book is both inspirational and infuriating as it provides an intimate look into what made Pat Tillman tick.  This is the story that Tillman deserved and it is the story that the American public deserves to hear.  I can't recommend it enough. 

And now the wait begins for the next Krakauer release...

2 comments:

  1. I have read Into the Wild and Into Thin Air both good books. However, Into thin Air was tough to get into (as a non-climber the vocab was tough) and more maddening. Defintely worth the read though. ~Kati

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to think that I had a hand in Butter's love of reading. Dr Seus' One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish and the Barenstein Bear's Picnic may not be great works of literary art, but a joy for reading was obviously instilled. YAY. Butters Mom

    ReplyDelete