Friday, February 5, 2010

Personal Best

I finally got out ice fishing today for the first time this winter. Luckily James let me borrow his auger because there is no way my hand auger would have gotten through the 20+ inches of ice. Who ever invented the power ice auger, thank you!

The wait to get out fishing was definitely worth it. Within the first hour or so I landed this guy.



And a couple more just so I can show off a little...





At 22", this is easily my personal best walleye through the ice and is probably right up there for biggest walleye I have ever caught. I would like to say that this is the fish I was out targeting, but in truth I was primarily pan fishing and got lucky. Oh well, I will take it! It was a lot of fun to catch. When it first hit it sat like an anchor on the bottom and then it ran line like crazy. 3-4 times it got to the bottom of the ice and took off again. I was actually shocked my line didn't break...maybe I do know how to tie a decent knot.

Full disclosure, the following picture times 25 is what I caught the rest of the time.



It only takes one fish to make an outing a success though!

1 comment:

  1. Good last words of justification! I thought Andy would be insanely jealous at your success, but like a good fisherman he is very happy for you! (and probably a little extra motivated...)

    ReplyDelete